Monday, March 22, 2010

Alison Toerner & Zumaya

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Ali Toerner and I work full time for Clear Channel Communications as an Online Content Coordinator. I also have a side business called Ali's Paw Prints. My dog's name is Zumaya and he is a 2 1/2 year old black lab mix. Possibly a lab/rottweiler or lab/shepherd...not really sure!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I love coffee and relaxing with my bud! We were actually watching some of our favorite Monday night sitcoms.

What's brewing?

Decaf (because it is the evening) Folgers Hazelnut.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

I had some yummy leftover chocolate cake!

Any treat for Zumaya on this occasion?

He actually is quite pooped! We just got back from a nice walk, so he seemed content with resting.

How were you and Zumaya united?

I found Zumaya at the Animal Friends Humane Society of Hamilton, Ohio. An absolute great place! Besides Zumaya, my parents have found one of our previous dogs Holly, and their current dog Riley all from this shelter. I went to just look around and I'm so glad I did!

How did Zumaya get his name? Any aliases?

Zumaya is named after a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers ... we wanted something unique. But I think we jinxed the pitcher because shortly after we named him he went onto the DL. Oh yes and at the shelter his name was Marlin ... It just doesn't seem to fit him.

Please tell us a bit about your vector portraits.

I would love to! I take an original photo of your pet (digital or printout), and use it to recreate a vector portrait of your pet. This is all done on the computer, but I do not use a quick filter to render the photo. I hand trace all elements of your photo to create a highly detailed illustration. Each portrait has the same style, but each one brings out the personality of the individual animal. I have a strong passion for both animals and graphic design, and have found a perfect way for me to mix both. [vector portrait at left, "Lola"]

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Squirrel!!! No doubt about that one!

Ball, squeaky-toy, Frisbee...?

Oh, the squeaky toys, but after the squeaky is gone...so is the interest.

Where is Zumaya's favorite place for an outing?

I would have to say the dog park. He is a very social dog, and just loves to meet new playmates.

Who is Zumaya's best pet-pal?

Now this one is hard to choose. He currently has 3 of them, and you cannot say any of their names in conversation otherwise you have to take him to see them. It just wouldn't be fair if you didn't. So here they are! Frankie, Riley, and Mandy.

What's Zumaya's best quality?

I absolute adore his laidback personality. A simple walk and he is content, and just loves to be in your company.

If Zumaya could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Simple. That everyday is take your dog to work day.

What's Zumaya's proudest moment? His most embarrassing?

Proudest would be overcoming his painful Hip Displasia FHO surgery at just 1 year. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever been through just being there with him. From sleeping next to him on the floor, to helping him up and down the stairs. But he has 100% recovered from his surgery and is doing great!

Embarrassing? I would have to say the few days that he must have caught a bug and had a really bad case of explosive diarhea. And we'll just leave it at that...poor little guy.

Visit the Ali's Paw Prints website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue