Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cathy Graham & Loup Graham

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Cathy Graham and I am a creative writer who writes for children and adults. I am a basically a big kid who enjoys daydreaming when I should be a serious grown up but at fifty years old, I've given up trying to change myself to please others.

My dog’s name is Loup Graham and he is a male Malamute husky of about three years old.

I play flute in a duo with my harpist friend, Sharon. Here we are playing “Song of the Wood” on Youtube.

I have been singing Alto 2 in a women’s choir for six years and enjoy it very much. Our motto for the choir is that “Singing is cheaper than therapy” which is so true.

I have worked as a desktop publisher over the years for the Canadian government and the private sector and still do that kind of work on occasion. I don’t miss the long commute into Ottawa to work full time and am enjoying having the time and energy to do volunteer work as well as pursue all my creative interests.

I especially enjoy spending time with my two wonderful teen sons, Rory and Eric, my hubby Brian, and our menagerie of seven animals; four dogs and three cats in rural Ottawa, Ontario.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Loup and I don’t need a special occasion to share coffee breaks together. Even me putting out laundry on the clothesline is a chance for us to share a moment. He isn’t too fond of coffee but will gladly accept any treat.

What's brewing?

Starbucks tall bold with a dash of hazelnut syrup for a touch of sweetness. Slurp. Now I’m craving one.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

A Starbucks pumpkin scone or a homemade banana chocolate chip muffin goes well with the coffee.

Any treat for Loup on this occasion?

Some chewy Milk Bone Steak and Cheesers and some scraps from last night's leftover lasagna.

How were you and Loup united?

Someone abandoned Loup just outside our village and my husband adopted him since he’s crazy about huskies and loves the Arctic. Loup is extremely energetic and strong so I can understand why someone might have found him too much to handle.

Does Loup have any influence on your writing?

Loup has his own Facebook account and even his own blog, so yes, he does have an influence. It’s fun to write about life from his perspective and gives me more freedom to be playful with the writing, saying things I might not have the courage to write as myself.

How did Loup get his name?

Loup got his name because “loup” means wolf in French and he definitely looks like a wolf and has wolf-like qualities. He even howls like a wolf.

Where is Loup's favorite place for an outing?

Loup loves walks in the forest and likes nothing better than jumping into a nice gooey mud puddle.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Any small furry creature is fair game for a husky with that small prey instinct of theirs. It can make walks an adventure when we encounter people walking their small dogs. Why is it that small dogs always want to confront larger ones? Don’t they realize they might end up as lunch?

Tennis ball, Frisbee, squeaky-toy...?

Anything can become a toy as far as Loup is concerned. (Even things that you don’t want him to play with like clothes off the clothesline.) He just loves the boys’ old worn out socks for a tug-of-war game.

Who is Loup's best pet-pal?

He and our female St. Bernard Tyna have a thing going. Nothing serious though. Loup likes to play the field and has many female admirers, both human and dog, real life and online.

Our red male Siberian, Tanner is extremely jealous of Loup and likes to pick a fight every chance he gets. Loup doesn’t put up with any crap and can hold his own. He takes it all in stride and it doesn’t seem to undermine his self-confidence one bit.

What is Loup's best quality?

He has many. He is always in a good mood and lives in the moment. He makes the best eye contact and is a great listener.

What is Loup's proudest moment?

His proudest moment is going for walks with everyone admiring him as he struts by. He’s way more famous than I am.

And his most embarrassing?

His most embarrassing moment is getting tangled up in the bushes and needing someone to free him.

If your dog could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Loup would tell me to stop worrying so much, live in the moment, and to have more confidence in myself the way he does. Loup doesn’t spend precious time worrying about tomorrow or regretting past mistakes and that to me seems like a good way to live one’s life.

Learn more about Cathy Graham at her writing website and her personal website, and read her short story "As Time Goes By."

Visit
Loup Graham's blog and Facebook page, where he is very active.

--Marshal Zeringue