Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wendy Whittingham & Winnie Favaro

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Wendy Whittingham. I am an artist, writer, animal lover, mom, sister, daughter, friend, who much like the Wendy in the Peter Pan tale, has no intention of growing up!

My dog's name is Winnie Favaro. She is a female Cairn terrier, 2-years-old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Not coffee this time. We stopped for a cold drink after a long uphill hike.

What's brewing?

Tim Horton's iced cappuccino.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Not usually.

Any treat for Winnie on this occasion?

A plain Timbit as always, and a drink of water. After all, we use the drive thru!

How were you and Winnie united?

I came home one day and there she was - a cute fluff ball surprise!

Does Winnie have any influence on your art and writing?

Yes! Without Winnie under my feet I'd be lacking a foot rest and writing would be a tad uncomfortable. She is also a pretty good listener as long as I ma rubbing her belly. When her ears go back, it means she really likes what I've written! It's nice to have such a keen fan base. Winnie also has her own Facebook profile and lots of four-footed friends that she keeps in touch with regularly.

How did Winnie get her name?

I didn't name her, but apparently Winnie is sort of named after me and that round tubby bear-like character. Um, I really don't see the connection....

Where is Winnie's favorite place for an outing?

The beach.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

She will chase anything that moves quickly, from a leaf or dustball, to a skateboarder or city bus.

Tennis ball, stick, squeaky-toy...?

A stuffed hedgehog is her favorite squeaky toy, but she also loves playing catch with a tennis ball.

Who is Winnie's best pet-pal?

Pangu, her Korean step-brother. When they dog-wrestle it sounds like a major showdown but it's all good fun and no one gets hurt.

What is Winnie's best quality?

Her dynamic personality. I know people often say this about their dogs but I swear she is part human. Winnie just sparkles with life, at the same time she's very sweet and affectionate.

If Winnie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Winnie would make me have super powers so I could keep up with her as she explores the world.

What is Winnie's proudest moment? Her most embarrassing?

Proudest moment: hiked up to Rattlesnake Point, a cliff which is one of the highest spots along the Niagara escarpment.

Most embarrassing: rolled around on a fish carcass at the beach. I don't know what came over her bus she had a good scrubbing once back home!

Visit Wendy Whittingham's website and Winnie Favaro's Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue