Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lisa M. Miller & Kirby

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Lisa M. Miller, mystery author of the newly released book, The Running Path, from Whiskey Creek Press. With me is my 13 year old Jack Russell Terrier, Kirby. Our picture was taken at our brewery. My husband and his business partner launched Breaker Brewing Company last year. It is connected to our home!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?


A few times a week when I go to my 6am cycling class, Kirby has a routine. He will sit diligently by the door, waiting for my return. As soon as I arrive home, we grind the beans for the french press, and then I have to take him for a walk will the coffee is brewing. He will bark if I don't pick up the leash within a few minutes. After a quick jaunt around the block, I have a few sacred minutes to enjoy my coffee and scan the newspaper, until everyone wakes up. Then, my 2- and 5-year-old boys take the stage.

What's brewing?

Starbucks Guatemala Antigua in the kitchen, Olde King Coal Stout in the brewery.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Hearty grains English muffin with strawberry preserves.

Any treat for Kirby on this occasion?


We try to keep him away from people food, although he steals the occasional pancake from the kids.

How were you and Kirby united?

We fell in love with the JR breed, and started the search for our crazy terrier. He was 12-weeks-old when he joined the family.

Does Kirby have any influence on your writing?

While most of my writing is mysterious, Kirby and my boys help keep things balanced and lighthearted. Both require us to have a sense of humor!

How did Kirby get his name? Does he have any aliases?

We originally wanted to name him Herby, but he looked more like a Kirby. He has many nicknames, including pig. His love for food earned him that.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Despises the postman and most small animals. What do you expect, he's a terrier!

Tennis ball, Frisbee, squeaky-toy...?

Stuffed animal with a squeaker....destroyed within five minutes.

Where is Kirby's favorite outdoor destination?

He likes to patrol our fenced in backyard, but loves to be taken for a walk anywhere.

Who is Kirby's best pet-pal?

He has a new cousin, Regal the lemon beagle.

If Kirby could change one thing about you, what would it be?

More walks!

What is Kirby's best quality?

He is an amusing, adorable and brilliant little friend. He surprised everyone when he got along with both of my boys famously from when they were infants. I knew he would!

What is the most amusing thing Kirby does? The most frustrating?

He once broke loose and returned with scorched fur on his front leg, the smell of charcoal on his breath and grease in his beard. Frustrating that he got loose, but the thought of him ransacking someone's late night cookout and stealing what I assume was a burger or steak still makes me laugh.

Learn more about The Running Path and its author at Lisa M. Miller's website and at Whiskey Creek Press.

--Marshal Zeringue