Friday, December 3, 2010

Beverly Varnado & Lucy

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Beverly Varnado with my dog, Lucy. We’re at the foot of the storied Arches at the University of Georgia. I’m a screenwriter, blogger, and author of three novel manuscripts. I’ve won several awards for screenwriting, which include being a 2009 finalist for the international Kairos Prize. I currently have a screenplay “Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees” under option with Elevating Entertainment Motion Pictures.

Lucy’s a female Chocolate Lab-Australian Shepherd mix and is about five months old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We’re picking ups some tea before we take a stroll around the historic North Campus of UGA.

What's brewing?

I chose Ruby Fruit Tea at Espresso Royale just across Broad Street from North Campus. I’m a caffeine free kind of gal.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

There’s no way I could handle eating a pastry, hold my tea, and keep a good grip on Lucy.

Any treat for Lucy on this occasion?

Lucy has a proclivity to counter cruise at home, so we have to watch the treats.

How were you and Lucy united?

We lost our two old female labs within about six months of each other. Though we still had our two cats, and an elderly poodle we felt an agonizing ache for our big girls, as we called them. So my daughter and husband set out to get another dog. I didn’t go, because I’d bring home every dog in the pound. They finally chose Lucy from Disaster Response Canine Rescue, an organization that started just after Hurricane Katrina and has since rescued about 8,000 animals.

How did Lucy get her name?

Lucy was the one name on which my kids could agree and which I also liked.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

She’s a bit overly friendly with the felines. Hiss and claw are the current responses from the cats.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

She thinks Charlie the poodle is her personal toy. He hasn’t adjusted to the idea, however. She also has tennis balls, a rope thing with fringe, a turtle minus one flipper, a beanie dog, a stuffed Tigger, plus whatever else she can dig up out of the back yard. Oh, and I almost forgot the fake floppy squirrel.

Where is Lucy's favorite place for an outing?

She loves to go for a walk in our neighborhood and visit the other pets.

Who is Lucy's best pet-pal?

It would have to be Charlie, although I’m not sure he’d agree.

If Lucy could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She’d wish I would run with her around the block rather than walk. She often gives me the “old person” look.

What is Lucy's proudest moment?

Lucy has not been welcomed with open arms by all neighborhood dogs. Her proudest moment was when she could walk by the maniac hound in the invisible fence and not wet on herself. Most embarrassing? When she walked by the maniac hound in the invisible fence and wet on herself.

Visit Beverly Varnado's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue