Monday, February 14, 2011

Tricia Williams & Benny

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Tricia Williams, and this is my dog Benny. I’m a production assistant at a video production company, and have been for the last several years.

Benny is a terrier-mix (it’s a real mystery as to what he really is), and an almost 4-year old boy. Benny, my fiancé and I live together in Richmond, Virginia.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Today Benny is joining me to snuggle on the couch- it’s his favorite thing to do besides play. He burrows in his blanket and sits right beside me.

What's brewing?

Right now I’m having Starbucks French Roast (brewed at home), with a little French-vanilla creamer. Perfect for that afternoon pick-me-up.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Not today! I like to think of my coffee as a goodie in and of itself.

Any treat for Benny on this occasion?

Just some ice cubes- he loves to crunch on those! His other favorite thing is wet food (he only gets this on very special occasions).

How were you and your dog united?

I went with my sisters one afternoon to the local animal shelter where we found him crouched in a corner. He didn’t have a name or a story yet since they’d just picked him up off the streets. He had lost a lot of hair from fleas, was bleeding from sores on his ears, and seriously undernourished. I picked him up a week later (after he had been fixed), and the rest is history. He doesn’t even look like the same dog I got that day.

How did Benny get his name? Does he have any aliases?

We call him a whole slew of names! Benny, Ben, Benjamin, Benihana, Ben-bear, Bear, etc.

His full name is Bennet Arthur Williams. Bennet is for the Bennet family in Pride & Prejudice (my favorite movie) and Arthur from Arthur Weasley of Harry Potter- it’s unfortunate that Benny can’t read!

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

He loves everything he comes across. For a terrier he’s shockingly tolerant of small animals!

His only problem is probably loving them a little too much.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

He prefers the squeaker out of the squeaky-toy, best removed quickly. Then the rest of the toy is thrown aside.

Where is your dog's favorite place for an outing?

He loves the tennis court at our apartment complex! He would run circles for hours if I let him- we play catch there, and hide and seek. He always seems to know when we’re headed there.

Who are your dog's best pet-pals?

He loves my in-laws' dogs Rocky and Reya (border collies) [Rocky, Reya, and Benny, photo left], his cousin Henry (another terrier mix), and his friend Hero (an Australian shepherd).

If Benny could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He’d probably want me to feed him more- we give him half of a portion of food in the morning and evening, yet he can’t seem to get enough.

I don’t know if it’s his scavenger beginnings, but that dog looks for food everywhere!

What is Benny's proudest moment? His most embarrassing?

His proudest moment was when he’d been with us for a few months, and he’d learned some tricks and his sores had healed. You could tell he felt great!

His most embarrassing: he’s a klutz just like me, and often takes leaps onto a surface only to miss and fall on the floor.

He always gets back up and tries again, though!

Visit Tricia Williams's website.

--Marshal Zeringue