Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Molly Fiore & Lucy

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Molly Fiore, I am the author of the recently released Opting In: An Inspirational self-help story for women who feel misunderstood, isolated or living in fear to find empowerment, courage, confidence, and self love.

And this is Lucy Fiore. Lucy is a 6 year-old Black Lab.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Lucy and I enjoy our early mornings during the week together on the couch... with a hot cup of tea. Our ritual is always the same. We come downstairs together and I start the hot water boiling as she stretches and makes her way to the door. She goes outside to check on the yard, take inventory of her toys, and search for any visitors that may have come in the night. As the tea is ready, she comes back in and we both settle on the couch. I enjoy my morning reading while she counts down the hour (she has become a master) until it is time for our morning walk or run.

What's brewing?

I feel a bit guilty on the Coffee with a Canine blog admitting I am a tea drinker. Every morning it is the same- Awake tea with cream.

Any treats for you or Lucy on this occasion?

Although I know this is not what the question implies, this is our morning treat. We sit together and I love on Lucy. She always sits right next to me, always touching. If she needs her ears scratched, belly rubbed, or just to be close she always lets me know.

How did Lucy get her names? Any aliases?

My husband and I have one child--Lucy. She is our princess and goes with us everywhere. We named her after someone equally as special, my husband's mom. I have always loved the name Lucy and adore my mother-in-law. She is loving, giving, easy going, kind hearted, and does have a bit of a mischievous side. A perfect fit for our Lucy Girl.

How were you and Lucy united?

Unbelievably enough, I first laid eyes on Lucy on www.nextdaypets.com. My husband and I had agreed that we were ready to bring a dog into our home, but hadn't started looking. A friend was also searching and had scoured the website in her own search. She came across Lucy's photo and told me I had to check it out. I was very resistant to searching on a website but finally agreed to take a look. Once I saw her, there was no turning back. Lucy was actually only a few hours away, out on a ranch in Eastern Colorado. I called the owner and learned he had only listed the dog on the urging of a friend. A lady in New York had put a down payment on Lucy and did not come through with the final payment. The owner was ready to keep her, but decided to see what would happen with listing her. We agreed to meet a few days later. When I pulled up and saw little Lucy (her name was Pink at the time) come around the corner my heart melted. It's been melting ever since.

You have a new book just out. Please tell us about it. Does Lucy make any contribution to your writing?

Opting In is a story about getting free. It is my yearlong journey going within. As I went deep within exploring my darkest secrets and shame, I found clarity and solace running in the mountains of Colorado. Lucy was always by my side. We found answers, peace, freedom, and inspiration on our runs together. Lucy always served as an example to me of living in the moment, being free, and utterly joyful.

Does Lucy have a favorite place to go for an outing?

Lucy loves outings period! As to her favorite place? Ticaboo, Utah. We spend a fair amount of time in the summer at Lake Powell on my dad’s boat. We have a place 13 miles away at Ticaboo. Lucy loves it all! She loves running and chasing lizards in the open desert. She loves riding on the boat and knows as soon as my dad cuts the engine she is free to jump in. She spends hours swimming around and one of her very favorite games is jumping off the rocks. You have to be careful cause she’ll jump right on top of you!

Squirrel, postman, cat...?

Lucy’s list looks more like lizard, rabbit, UPS driver (yes--only UPS), sandpiper birds.

Squeaky-toy, ball, Frisbee...?

She is a retriever. You name it--she’ll retrieve it. Her absolute favorite is to retrieve a water toy off a dock. A close second is her Frisbee, followed closely by a tennis ball.

What is Lucy's best quality?

Unconditional love. Lucy will absolutely let you know how much she loves you. Once she knows you, she will whine, spin in circles, and run circles around you whenever she sees you. It is an amazing greeting that has you feeling so special.

If Lucy could change one thing about you, what would it be?

My travel schedule. Lucy’s head and ears go down every time she sees the suitcase come out. She does her very best to invite herself along. She follows me everywhere and will do anything in her power to jump in the car. When she knows she is not going she gives you the saddest look. It breaks my heart.

What is Lucy's proudest moment?

On a walk in Breckenridge, Colorado. It had snowed several feet over night and Lucy was ecstatic playing in the snow. She grabbed her tennis ball and carried it on the walk. She invented a game with herself of burying her ball in the snow and then digging it up again. One time the ball disappeared. Lucy frantically dug up snow in search for her ball. It was gone. I tried to get Lucy to leave it, to continue our walk. She was having none of it. After 15 minutes she was still at it. As I was about ready to drag her away she stuck her entire head in the snow and rooted around. To my amazement she came up with her face completely covered in snow (only her two little eyes sticking out) with the tennis ball in her mouth. She has never looked so proud.

If Hollywood had made a movie last year about your life in which Lucy could speak, which actor should do her voice?

With no question or hesitation, Ellen DeGeneres.

Visit Molly Fiore's website and blog, and read more about Opting In.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog and I'm in love! My favorite part of the weekend is taking my dog to the dog park with a cup of coffee. It's her social playground and it's the least I can do for someone who loves me so unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete