Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kim Culbertson & Maya

Who is in the photo at right?

This is Maya. She’s a four year old Vizsla. And I’m Kim Culbertson. I write YA novels and teach high school. If Maya could introduce me, she would probably say that I feed her, don’t walk her nearly enough, and for some reason seem to think the couch belongs to the humans. Maya would explain that I am mistaken. She lets us use her couch.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

The morning works like this. Maya gets her food. Then, I get my coffee. Please do not reverse the order.

What's brewing?

We’re an Illy household. Every morning, my husband makes me a latte. 1% milk. Illy espresso. Mmmmmmmm.

Any treats for you or your dog on this occasion?

Maya gets her breakfast while my seven year old gets cereal or waffles and my husband and I get Illy. I like our mornings.

How did Maya get her name? Any aliases?

We’ve always loved Maya Angelou as a poet, so I’d love to say we named her in a sort of literary way but my daughter really liked the name Maya. She was almost four when we got Maya and she was the one who suggested the name. When we asked her why, she said, “Because I like it.” Maya now has several other names that have evolved into the following: Maya-Papaya-reddish-leaf eater- spazzy McSpazzerson. Yes, she is a spaz and really likes to eat leaves. She cares about her fiber intake.

How were you and your dog united?

My daughter picked Maya. We looked at a litter of Vizslas, and, at first, I wanted a different dog. Maya was skinny and had a funny bump on her head and seemed scared, but she came out of the little kennel, sniffed my daughter, and then promptly curled up in her lap, gazing at her with rapt adoration. “This one,” my daughter told us. There was no argument. Turns out, the one I had initially liked tried to run away from us when they brought her out. My daughter has very good instincts.

Does Maya play any role in your writing?

When I’m stuck on a scene, I often grab her leash and take her for a walk. Sometimes, we walk for a long time and sometimes I get hit with an idea in ten minutes and we turn around. She is very patient with me.

Who are Maya's best pet-pals?

My parents live about five minutes away and have Maya’s brother, Max. Maya and Max play often. They also have a huge German Shepard friend named Blitzen. When Max and Blitzen play, Maya mostly tolerates them with a look that says, “Men.” I swear my dog can roll her eyes.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Maya and our postman have an understanding. He pets her and tells her how pretty she is and she stops barking at him. This seems to work for them.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

She’s a Vizsla. If you throw something, she might bring it back once. If you throw it again, she’ll look at you like, “I got it the first time. Get it yourself.”

What is Maya's best quality?

She is the sweetest girl. My daughter occasionally has trouble falling asleep and Maya will sit very still, right alongside of her, until she falls asleep and then creep out of the room so she doesn’t wake her. My daughter wants people to know that Maya's very patient with small children. That's her best quality.

If Maya could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I would be home more (read: every second of every day). And I wouldn’t be so stingy with the Greenies.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Maya could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Ginnifer Goodwin. Plucky, sweet, but with a nice dash of sass.

If Maya could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Maya – you’re patient, kind, understanding and always in love with us. What did we do to deserve you? Seriously, if the world were like my dog, there would be no strife.

Visit Kim Culbertson's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Writers Read: Kim Culbertson
.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment