Friday, August 24, 2012

Susan Dennard & Asimov and Leia

Who are in the photos with this Q & A?

Well, there's Asimov (Irish Setter, 3 years) in the chair and Leia (terrier mutt, 10 months) gazing lovingly at the camera.

I'm Susan Dennard, a reader, writer, animal-lover, and cookie-eater. My debut novel -- a YA gothic mystery called Something Strange and Deadly -- came out this summer.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Oh, I have coffee with my pups every day. They're my constant companions since I work at home.

What's brewing?

I always have plain coffee--no sugar, no milk. As for the brand, it's from a coffee shop called Uncommon Grounds. They work directly with their farmers in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. I only buy fair trade coffee.

Any treats for you or Asimov and Leia on this occasion?

They usually get one or two carrots throughout the day. Not sure why, but they both love carrots!

How did the dogs get their names? Any aliases?

photo by Amanda Plavich
Asimov is named after Isaac Asimov, the prolific science fiction writer (and one of my heroes). He get's called "Asimovich" quite a lot…

Leia is named after Princess Leia (also a hero of mine!). I call her "Lay-Lay" or "Lady-Loo"--though I have no idea why I started saying that!

How were you and Asimov and Leia united?

I wanted a puppy after my first dog didn't make it to Germany (the airline lost her!). But adopting a dog in Germany is very hard since--unlike the US--there aren't very many stray dogs. Plus, adopting was about the same cost as getting a purebred. So, we finally settled on getting a dog like I'd grown up with: an Irish setter.

Leia came from a shelter in Georgia. My mom volunteers at it, and I went one day to help her with all the poop-cleaning and dog-walking. I took one look at little Leia and knew I had to bring her home.

Do Asimov and Leia have any non-canine pet-pals?

Well, we have 2 cats--Duma and Mowgli. Leia and Asimov both adore the cats, but the feeling is definitely not mutual.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Squirrel! They love to chase them, though I'm not sure they'd have any idea what to do with it if the ever actually caught one.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

All three! They love furry, squeaky toys for chewing and wrestling. Balls are great for chasing, and sticks are great for eating (though I'm not inclined to agree).

What is each dog's best quality?

Asimov has a ton of personality. He's a pretty grumpy dog (in a good-natured way), and he's very vocal when he's annoyed. (Of course, I definitely go out of my way to annoy him because it's just so darn funny!)

Leia is the sweetest, sweetest dog on the planet. She is all kisses and cuddles, and she will do anything to make me happy.

If Asimov and Leia could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I think both dogs would like to get more walks and be let off leash more often. But...no dice.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actor should do their voices?

Hahaha--great question. I think that Michael J. Fox and Sally Fields in Homeward Bound would make a great Asimov and Leia, respectively.

If Asimov and Leia could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Why do you guys keep eating the cat poop?!

Visit Susan Dennard's website, blog, and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment