Friday, May 3, 2013

Lisa Schweitzer & Doc

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Lisa Schweitzer and I’m a freelance writer for Write 2 Fly-Fish. I also work part-time at a restaurant in West Seattle. My dog (whom I share with my husband), is “Doc”. We think he is about 2 or 2 ½. He is most likely a lab/chow/pitbull/Aussie mix. His looks reflect all of them, but his personality is definitely lab all the way. We rescued him while we were living in Eastern Washington during my husband’s first year of medical school, hence the name inspiration.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Every morning Doc lays by my feet while I enjoy my morning cup of joe and work on my laptop… He does this for about two hours until he starts to get anxious to go to the park. I think he feels this machine attached to a cord that I loudly tap away at is a detriment to his well-being and overall quality of life. In his defense, I would have to agree, but then again, he doesn’t make any income for us, so he shouldn’t complain. (I contradict myself a lot when speaking through my dog…)

What's brewing?

Usually whatever my med school roommates brew up (Tully’s, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts… whatever was on sale) since they get up before I do to study, so I rarely make the morning batch of coffee. (Yes, my husband and I currently live with two other medical students. It’s been a fun past year experience, but we are in the process of moving into our own apartment.)

Any treats for you or Doc on this occasion?

On the way to the off-leash dog park nearby, we have started a dangerous ritual of stopping at the Metropolitan Market and getting a sandwich at their deli (usually the Melted Mozz aka MM sandwich that has melted mozzarella, basil, arugula, tomato and prosciutto.) and I end up giving Doc part of it while we eat it in the car.

How were you and Doc united?

My husband and I stalked his photo on petfinder.com for almost 3 months while living in Pullman, WA, and finally went to the shelter in Moscow, ID where he was being held on October 31st 2012 and ended up taking him home the next day. So, we celebrate his “birthday” on Halloween since his actual birth date is unknown.

How did Doc get his name? Any aliases?

As I said earlier, he got his name from the inspiration that his new dad was in medical school to become a doctor, and it was an idea that ended up sticking. As far as aliases go, he has several… Hound Chow, Wolf Puppy, Monkey, Chow Face, Wolfacinno (with an Italian accent for some reason), and the list keeps growing… We say all of the names in the same tone, so he responds to all of them. (His parents are a little weird.)

What's the wildest critter Doc has encountered in the wild?

That’s funny that you ask this question, and I hope there are no “Squirrel Protection Advocates” who read your blog or might come across this post… We were told by the shelter that Doc would not do well with cats. What we didn’t realize is that cats were just large squirrels in his eyes. A lot of dogs go crazy when those fluffy tailed creatures are around, but our dog actually killed one (a squirrel that is, not a cat thank God)… in front of my mother-in-law’s face while she was dog-sitting him at the park. All she said was he took off running faster than ever, and moments later she heard the squeals of a critter in distress. By the time she made it up the hill to where Doc had run off to, the squirrel was gone.

You're a fly-fishing expert. Has Doc ever gotten rambunctious when you were just about to hook a big fish?

Doc always goes ballistic when a fish is being fought. Luckily, he has never jumped in where the fish might be laying or caused a ruckus to where he may have scared anything away. He did try and jump on a wild steelhead that my husband was about to land in shallow water, but thankfully he just got the line and the fish came off and swam away. We try not to harm wild steelhead, so we do our best to keep Doc away from them just in case.

Does Doc have a favorite place to go for outings?

Doc’s favorite place is the off-leash dog park. He isn’t picky about which one, but anywhere that has water that he can swim in and chase after his ball. He only has one ball he likes, and it’s an orange and blue Chuck-It ball that floats and bounces. He would probably swim after it until he drowned from exhaustion, so we try and limit his swimming time to 20 minutes or so. He is an avid, hyper-obsessive “ball dog”.

Who are Doc's best pet-pals?

Doc’s best dog-friends are his “cousins”: A pug named Xabi (pronounced, “Shabby”), a Golden Retriever named Duchess, a terrier mix named Callie, a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix named Coco. We are also dog-sitting a friend’s dog, Thompson, for about a month, and they are like brothers separated at the litter.

What is Doc's best quality?

I would have to say his goofy and super sweet personality. He rarely barks, so when company comes over (dogs or human) he doesn’t bark or growl at them when they come in the door. In fact, he’s a little too friendly to anyone who comes in the door, so I don’t know if he would be a very good “guard dog” if necessary. He sure is a big love.

If Doc could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He would probably take away my job and my computer. He assumes I have nothing else to do but take him to the park and feed him.

If Doc could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I would ask him to fess up to how many squirrels and kitties he has harmed… and why.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Doc could speak, who should voice him?

That one is tough, because I see him as a kid and don’t know a lot of child actors who could voice him, but if he was an “adult” character in the movie, I would have to say Billy Crystal.

Visit the Write 2 Fly-Fish website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. After reading this I think Billy Crystal would be the perfect choice :)
    www.bestpupintheworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Has everything, great dog, a mom who fishes, and the chasing of tree rats.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete