Friday, August 2, 2013

Mandy Jean, Brett & Hank and Kimber

Who is in the photo at right?

Brett, Mandy Jean, Hank (bloodhound), and Kimber (Shiba Inu) This was our first family photo the day we picked Hank up.

Brett is law enforcement and Mandy Jean is a beauty, fashion and lifestyle vlogger at Mandy Jean Chic.

Hank is a 4 year old bloodhound. We adopted him in October of 2011.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Our dogs are our children. They go as many places as possible with us. When we dine out on Saturday afternoons we normally look for locations that allow dogs on the patio. One of our favorite restaurants is the Indigo Crow Cafe in Corrales, NM. Hank also has a huge crush on one of the waitresses that brings him bacon.

What's brewing?

We actually ordered tea as the temperatures are nearing 95 here in New Mexico.

Any treats for you or Hank on this occasion?

Hank loves going to the Indigo Crow Cafe because the chef is a dog lover. Hank says the chef makes the best bacon.

How did Hank get his name? Any nicknames?

When we adopted Hank his name was Duke. Duke didn't fit him. He is very much a lay on the porch and people watch kind dog. Hank just fit him.

He has a couple of nicknames. His favorite is "Angel Baby". Hank can do no wrong in my eyes. He is very much a Mommy's boy. Brett on the other hand just calls him "Hank" or "Hanky".

How were you and Hank united?

In July of 2010 our English Pointer collapsed and passed away unexpectedly. We were devastated. After a year we started thinking about a 3rd dog. At the time we had our 4 year old Shiba Inu and my 11 year old Siberian Husky. We actually decided against getting a 3rd dog because having 3 makes it a little harder to travel. One day in October I decided to look up Bloodhounds on Petfinder. I still really don't know why but I did. The first dog I saw was Hank. He is standing by a pool and just had the most beautiful face.

We adopted Hank via South Central Bloodhound Club. His foster drove 5 hours to meet us in Amarillo, TX. The first time I saw Hank I knew he was my dog. He was supposed to be my husband's. Hank and I bonded and he is definitely my "Angel Baby."

Where does Hank most like to visit on an outing?

Hank loves going to the Indigo Crow Cafe and he also enjoys attending rescue events here in New Mexico to help promote Bloodhound rescue.

Who is Hank's best non-canine pet pal?

Me. Hank is my buddy. On Thursday I had to say goodbye to my 15 year old Husky and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Hank must have felt that I was getting a little depressed because he has been by my side for the last 2 days. This morning I really didn't want to get out of bed and Hank jumped into bed with me for some cuddle time. I instantly felt better.

Hank also likes to watch our Ferret, Tommy. I really don't let them play but they sniff each other. I am not worried that Hank would intentionally hurt Tommy but Tommy bounces around and I am afraid Hank would step on him.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Hank loves to people watch. When I open my blinds in my office/craft room he will sit there all day. Just watching people...

Squeaky toy, ball, stick…?

He really doesn't play with toys. He has one lion that is his "baby". He will sleep with it, cuddle with it and if Kimber (our Shiba) wants to play with it he will politely take it away and jump on the bed where she can't jump.

What is Hank's best quality?

Hank loves with all of his heart. You never have to question his temperament. He is easy going and loves to snuggle. He may not be the best dog in obedience class but he listens. He can be stubborn but that is a Bloodhound.

If Hank could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He hates sleeping with blankets. When I lay on the sofa I always have a blanket. Hank dislikes sleeping with a blanket. He will sigh and get off the sofa.

I also think he would prefer if I quit watching hockey. I really get into the games and yell at the TV. Hank is a soft dog and doesn't like yelling.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Hank could speak, which actor should do his voice?

Mike Judge. He was the voice of Hank Hill on King of the Hill. I imagine Hank would have a Texas accent. We actually had a 12 year old Bloodhound named Ladybird. They just kind fit together.

If Hank could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I would ask Hank if he would like a puppy. I am trying to talk hubby into a Bloodhound puppy and if Hank thought it was a good idea maybe it would help.

Visit the Mandy Jean Chic website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: