Friday, October 11, 2013

Josh Mann & Miss Chubs

Who is in the photo at right?

That's Miss Chubs, my sweet Beagle and me, Josh Mann. I write the blogs SomeFishBlog.com and Surf-Fish.com, and I've been a stay at home Dad for the past nine years. Miss Chubs is a four year old female Beagle with a soft spot for burly old fishermen and kids.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

This is our morning ritual here on the farm. Most mornings we have a cup here on our back porch while we have a little quality beagle and dad time.

What's brewing?

Lately , we've been enjoying East Timor Cooperativa Cafe Timor from Strange Coffee Company. Running it through a French Press really brings out a complex flavor, due in part to SCC's practice of roasting in small batches when an order is placed. I love it!

Any treats for you or Miss Chubs on this occasion?

We shared a slice of Banana Bread. It was delicious!

How did Miss Chubs get her name? Any nicknames?

She's always been a rather rotund Beagle, so the name just stuck. She also answers to Miss B and/or Miss Beagle.

How were you and Miss Chubs united?

Miss Chubs was a gift from a family member following the death of my previous Beagle. She is number four in a string of Beagles stretching back almost 30 years.

Who are Miss Chubs's best pet-pals?

It can't be our Maltese, because she growls at him frequently in a display of mistrust, so it has to be Zelda the cat. She "Sniffs" him constantly, so it must be true love?

Where is Miss Chubs's favorite outdoor destination?

Definitely the ponds here on the farm. She's never been chained or penned since we live so far out, but a trip to one of the ponds is always a grand adventure for her, and a chance to get her nose to the ground.

You write on your blog that Miss Chubs scouts your fishing holes for snakes. What happens when she finds one?

We both run and scream like little girls! Just kidding. She'll usually either bark at them or back away slowly, both of which alert me to their presence. Not that I have anything against snakes, but rather I don't like surprise snakes.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Stick or a bone. She's notorious for dragging home random bones, mostly deer , though I am always expecting a human femur a la The 'Burbs.

Cat, postman, rabbit...?

Rabbit without question, but she will occasionally chase groundhogs or squirrels. Maybe large rodents would be a better answer?

What is Miss Chubs's best quality?

She's a very lovable and affectionate dog. She's also good with my kids, but I have to say her best quality is her ability to hunt. She's the most enthusiastic dog I have ever seen when it comes to hunting, even though she is very much a pet. You can tell how much she loves it by her demeanor when she's done, which is usually totally relaxed and very content. That said, I think it's very sad that dogs who have been bred to hunt or otherwise work are increasingly denied that pleasure in our society. How horrible would it be to live your life being unable to do something enjoyable for which you have a genetic predisposition?

If Miss Chubs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Without a doubt, she would want me to take her hunting more. I don't feel guilty, since she does get to go quite often, but it's something we both enjoy and should do more frequently.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Miss Chubs could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Rachel Dratch. Beagles are a sad looking bunch most of the time, so I think the voice of Debbie Downer would be a good fit.

If Miss Chubs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Why did you continuously lick my leg and start air-humping beside me on that fateful day last summer? It was really awkward for me, and I wasn't comfortable wearing shorts around you for the rest of the year...

Visit Josh Mann's SomeFishBlog.com and Surf-Fish.com blogs and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment