Monday, May 11, 2015

Louisa Treger & Monty

Who is in the photo at right?

Louisa Treger, a writer, and her dog, Monty, a four-year-old male Cockapoo.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We have a standing coffee date every day. I don’t function without caffeine.

What's brewing?

When my debut novel, The Lodger, came out last October, my daughter bought me a Tassimo coffee machine to cure me of an expensive Starbucks habit. It worked – I am converted!

Any treats for you or Monty on this occasion?

We are both foodies, but we try to be good first thing in the morning. It doesn’t last beyond lunch time, when he sticks his face on my leg and gives me beseeching looks until I share whatever I’m eating with him!

How were you and Monty united?

I researched Cockapoo breeders on the internet and took a train to fetch him. I brought him home in a doggie bag; he was utterly disorientated, yet so cooperative and patient. By the time we got to the house, he owned me.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

My daughters named him after General Montgomery – he does rule the house! His aliases are The Monster, Monta, Poogie, The Schnapsta - these are just the less embarrassing ones.

Does Monty do more to help or hinder your writing?

Most of the time, Monty is the sweetest and least demanding of companions, snoozing on my feet while I write. He has become an important part of the writing process! That said, he has the occasional needy day, where he wants his tummy tickled and won’t let me type…

Have any actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your published work?

Not yet, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before a version of Monty appears in one of my books!

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrel, squirrel, squirrel. Oh, and did I mention, he’s obsessed with chasing squirrels?

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Ball – he prefers other dogs’ balls, which has triggered a few embarrassing incidents in the park.

Who is Monty's best pet-pal?

Me. He follows me around the house and would sit on my lap all day, if he could.

What is Monty's best quality?

He is unconditionally loving. Now that my kids are teenagers, he is the only person who jumps four feet in the air when I come home…

If Monty could change one thing about you, what would it be?

More titbits from my plate!

If Monty could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

What are you thinking?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Monty could speak, who should voice him?

Will Smith.

What advice would Monty give if asked?

There’s no need to put me in the kitchen at night. I am very happy sleeping on your bed!

Visit Louisa Treger's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Lodger.

My Book, The Movie: The Lodger.


--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post - and dog! I had a rescue named Ginger that looked very much like Monty.

    Enjoyed hearing about you, Louisa! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete