Monday, July 18, 2016

Harris Bloom & River

Who is in the photo at right?

Hey, my name is Harris Bloom. I run my own animal rescue, Stewie to the Rescue. I'm also a comedian, wedding officiant, actor, writer, accountant, and husband/father!

Our dog is named River... Not sure how old, or her breed, as I found her in Riverside Park about five years ago. I'm guessing she's about eight or nine now, and I think she's a cockapoo. I am sure she's a she.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I drink six/seven cups of coffee a day. It's actually rare when I'm not drinking coffee with River in tow.

What's brewing?

I'm vegan, and my favorite is Califia brand, either their Mocha or XX Espresso.

Any treats for you or River on this occasion?

I'm having Ben & Jerry's (non-dairy) Coffee, Caramel Fudge ... River will get her treats right after we go for our walk.

How were you and River united?

While walking my dog at the time, Kilo, (who has since passed), I found her in a carrying case. She was really matted and thin. I probably shouldn't have, but I took her home, got her vetted, and we decided to keep her!

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

We named her River since I found her by Riverside Park... It kinda fits as since she had back surgery, she semi-incontinent... ack!

Please tells us about Stewie to the Rescue.

I founded Stewie to the Rescue about six years ago. Stewie specializes in helping lower income individuals and families pay for medical care for their pets. As I'm sure you know, vet costs in NYC are crazy and a lot of people just can't afford it. Given how people consider their pets family, I's say that we help keep families together.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

All of the above. Any sound she hears, she's on guard. She's a 13 pound guard dog.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

She'll chase a ball once in a while. She's not as good at bringing it back.

Where is River's favorite outdoor destination?

To get back home.

Who is River's best pet-pal?

It was Kilo, our pit-mix who passed away. In fact, Kilo was the only dog that River liked or likes to play with...

What is River's best quality?

She's all bark and no bite - With two- and five-year-old kids in the apartment, she's had plenty of reasons to strike out and yet never has. She's a sweet pup.

If River could change one thing about New Yorkers, what would it be?

She'd make sure they all carry dried beef treats.

If River could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Is there a God?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which River could speak, who should voice her?

Meryl Streep, if she's available - We need someone who can voice a nuanced character, with a sufficient amount of gravitas.

What advice would River give if asked?

No matter what life throws at you, just keep barking.

Learn more about Stewie to the Rescue, Harris Bloom the comedian and wedding officiant, and watch a video in which NY1's New Yorker of the Week Bloom discusses animal rescue.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Another great interview! Kudos to Stewie to the Rescue and Harris for all they do for our paw fur-iends. Have to admit though, if I drank 6-7 cups of coffee, I'd have to have a 6 pack of beer to come down from the buzz! LOL

    ReplyDelete