Monday, February 12, 2018

Rhiannon Navin & Oscar Wilde

Who is in the photo at right?

I am Rhiannon Navin, author of Only Child. That is Oscar Wilde, giving me a big kiss on the nose. Oscar is a Golden Irish (mix between a Golden Retriever and an Irish Setter) and he’s five months old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

The picture was taken on Thanksgiving, when Oscar was brand new to our family. He just wanted me to hold him all day long, like my kids when they were babies. So I held him, ate my turkey with one hand, and let him give me kisses.

What's brewing?

I don’t drink coffee (a cruel trick of nature that I just don’t like the taste, since I could really use the caffeine) But I drink several cups of green tea in the morning after the kids are off to school. Oscar and I will sit together while I sip my tea and read the paper. I enjoy the peace and quiet and Oscar misses the kid-chaos.

Any treats for you or Oscar Wilde on this occasion?

So many treats for this pup all the time. I spoil him rotten, I’m afraid.

How were you and Oscar Wilde united?

The kids and I watched the movie A Dog’s Purpose together and just fell in love with the dog protagonist, a beautiful Golden Irish. The kids had been working us to get a dog for a long time. We found a breeder in Illinois who was about to have a new Golden Irish litter. Next thing we knew, my husband was on a plane to Chicago to pick up Oscar.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

We wanted an Irish name and from the shortlist, the kids picked Oscar. I added the middle name Wilde. I don’t know if he’ll ever learn his actual name though, because we call him by about a thousand different nicknames.

Does Oscar Wilde do more to help or hinder your writing?

Oh, totally hinder! Every time I have a great writing window and am about to dive in, without fail, Oscar will saunter over and stare at me with his sad, guilt-inducing Irish setter eyes. And then we’re off, for walk number thirty-seven before we’ve even had lunch. On the plus side though—walking time is thinking time and I’ve had some of my best ideas while out and about with Oscar.

Has Oscar Wilde inspired the creation of any fictional dogs?

Not yet. But I must find a way to work him into a story soon. He’s quite the character.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Yes, yes, and yes. Oscar tries to make friends with anything or anyone. We have two cats (Romeo Tony Stark and LuLuLemon) who used to rule the house before Oscar showed up. Now they have to share the kids’ affection with a loud, goofy puppy and they’re not too pleased. Oscar hasn’t given up hope yet that one day the cats will want to be his buddies.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

All of the above. He brings home sticks and walks around with them for hours. And he has a huge tub full of toys, because…how fun is it to shop for dog toys! Again, this is a very spoiled puppy.

Where is Oscar Wilde's favorite outdoor destination?

We have a lake close to our house and Oscar loves chasing the geese and ducks who live there. I don’t take him there too often though, because it kills my shoulders, trying to keep him from following his “friends” into the water.

Who is Oscar Wilde's best pet-pal?

His girlfriend Penny who lives just a few houses down. Penny is a Black Lab puppy, only one week younger than Oscar, and they are in love.

What is Oscar Wilde's best quality?

Well, it’s not good listening! But Oscar is fantastic with our kids. So loving and gentle. He’s still a puppy and has a lot of energy, but he would never hurt the kids. They could put entire limbs inside his mouth (and they do all the time, actually) and he wouldn’t bite down.

If Oscar Wilde could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He would make sure I’d let him lick all the dishes in the dishwasher. What kind of stupid rule is that anyway—don’t stick your nose in the dishwasher?

If Oscar Wilde could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Why must you shred every last piece of paper in the house if you’re not going to eat it?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Oscar Wilde could speak, who should voice him?

Morgan Freeman. His voice would be funny coming out of such a little puppy body.

What advice would Oscar Wilde give if asked?

If you give this lady the sad-puppy-eye-look, she will do anything for you.

Visit Rhiannon Navin's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment